Social sciences and humanities
Subject: SOCIOLOGY OF EDUCATION (A.A. 2023/2024)
Unit SOCIOLOGIA DELL'EDUCAZIONE
Sociology and Anthropology (lesson)
The course aims to provide the theoretical and conceptual tools that sociology uses to analyze and understand social phenomena, with a particular attention to the analysis of processes and training systems in contemporary society. Thanks to the study of research results, the course aims to reflect on issues of inequality and diversity, on media and ICT in education, on teachers and education, on the socialization of new generations and on the agency of children.
There are no specific requirements other than those necessary for admission to the degree course.
The content breakdown per CFU is intended as an indication. It may change during the course of the course in the light of student feedback. Further variations may occur in view of other contextual elements.
3 CFU (21 hours):
- The sociological study of educational processes.
- Main paradigms of analysis of the individual-society and education-society relationship.
- Analysis of socialisation processes and the role of socialisation agencies.
1 CFU (7 hours):
- Sociological theories of childhood.
- Children's agentivity and cultures.
3 CFU (21 hours):
- Differences and inequalities in education
- Educational poverty
- Ethnic inequalities at school
- Successful students
- Gender inequalities
1 CFU (7 hours):
- Digital at school
- Research on school and teachers.
The course will be delivered in presence. Attendance is not compulsory, although it is recommended. The course includes lectures with the support of visual material (slides) and in-depth seminars with the authors of the texts and with privileged witnesses. The course is held in Italian.
The assessment is carried out by means of a written test with questions with open and closed answers, aimed at verifying the comprehension of the various theoretical and empirical contents proposed. Students who wish to continue the written test with an oral test (therefore optional) will have the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to revise and connect the knowledge acquired. Each question is assessed in thirtieths. The final result is the average of the scores for each answer.
Knowledge and understanding skills: knowledge of the main sociological contributions to the study of educational processes. Understanding of the main dilemmas of education systems and knowledge of the debate on the theme of inequalities in education. Understanding of the role of the child within intergenerational relations.
Applied knowledge and understanding skills: ability to apply the theoretical knowledge acquired in the analysis of specific educational issues at school, in extracurricular socialization contexts, in the analysis of the role of teachers. Ability to recognize different research methodologies and to understand research texts.
Autonomy of judgement: ability to reflect on the changes and challenges of contemporary educational contexts, using sociological categories of analysis.
Communication skills: ability to argue using specific sociological terminologies, identifying the fundamental concepts and main trends of the observed phenomena
Ability to learn: ability to integrate knowledge and draw one's own conclusions; ability to intertwine course content with the analysis of everyday reality. Ability to connect theoretical issues and empirical data.
1. Besozzi E, Società, cultura e educazione, Carocci, 2017(cap.1-2-3-4-5)
2. Corsaro W., Sociologia dell'infanzia, FrancoAngeli, 2020 (pag.39-92; 118-143)
3. Santagati M. et al. Le donne all’origine della sociologia. Contributi alla ricerca empirica in America, Europa e Italia. Rvisita AG About Gender, Vol.12, No 23, 2023 https://riviste.unige.it/index.php/aboutgender/article/view/2039
4. Bertozzi R., Santagati M, Saruis T., 2020, "I dilemmi degli insegnanti nella scuola multiculturale. Un approfondimento teorico ed empirico in prospettiva street-level", in Professionalità, 3, 90-116
1 TESTO A SCELTA tra i seguenti in elenco, organizzati per tematiche. Il testo può essere relativo o all'area primaria o all'area infanzia.
Tema migrazioni (reperibili online):
1.a Bertozzi R. e Saruis T., "Uscire dall'invisibilità. La strategie di successo degli studenti sinti", in Santagati, Colussi, Report ISMU 3/2021, p.79-96
1.b A.Frisina, F.G.Farina, A.Surian (a cura di) 2021, Antirazzismo e scuole.Vol.1, Padova University Press (introduzione, cap.1-2)
2. Gui M, 2019, Il digitale a scuola. Rivoluzione o abbaglio?, Il Mulino
Tema studenti eccellenti:
3. Barabanti P. 2018, Gli studenti eccellenti nella scuola italiana, IES, Franco Angeli
4. Argentin G. 2021, Nostra scuola quotidiana. Il Mulino
Tema povertà educativa (2 Report di Savethechildren Italia reperibili online):
5.a "Nuotare contro corrente. Povertà educativa e resilienza"
5.b "Il miglior inizio. Disuguaglianze e opportunità nei primi anni di vita"
Tema differenze di genere (reperibili online, uno dei due):
6. Abbatecola E., Stagi L., 2017, Pink is the new black, Rosenberg & Sellier
7. Ottaviano C., Persico G., 2020, Maschilità e cura educativa, Genova University Press.