Social sciences and humanities
Subject: DIGITAL MARKETING STRATEGIES (A.A. 2023/2024)
Business Studies (lesson)
The course aims to provide students with marketing knowledge, implemented in the digital environment. At the end of the course students should be able to know and use the basic marketing tools (conceptual and operational models) useful for: 1) analyzing and understanding the market, 2) developing customer-centric marketing strategies, 3) creating value by building and managing profitable relationships with the target audience. All these concepts are developed paying particular attention to the current evolution of the context characterized by disruptive digital transformations.
The expected learning results are detailed in the dedicated section.
No prerequisite requested
The course consists of two parts.
The first part will deal with the following topics (2 credits, 16 hours):
- Strategic marketing
- Marketing environment, with a distinction between macro-environment and micro-environment
- Segmentation, targeting and positioning
The second part will deal with the following topics (3 credits, 24 hours):
- Operational marketing, with the declination of the choices to be made relating to the marketing tools:
3. Place (marketing channels)
4. Promotion (communicating customer value)
During the course, classroom exercises and insights will also be offered regarding the analysis of cases, in-depth study of examples and group work (1 credit, 8 hours).
Topics can be addressed with a different level of attention based on students’ interest or current events.
The course is developed using different formats (traditional lectures, exercises, practitioner presentations) to offer a mix of theory and practical explanations of marketing topics. Attendance is highly recommended even if all the lectures will be made available on ONELab (http://www.onelab.unimore.it/site/home.html). The course will be taught in Italian.
Verification of learning will be carried out through a WRITTEN test to be held at the end of the teaching lessons in one of the institutional exam sessions. The written exam will consist of 1 open question (with a maximum limit of characters to use) and 21 multiple-choice questions, concerning topics covered during the course. Indicatively, the open question will be worth 10 points and each multiple-choice question 1 point. Total 31 points. The written exam will last 60 minutes. Students who will attend the course are given the opportunity to develop projects during the course. If they choose this option, 70% of the final result will correspond to the evaluation of the projects developed during the course, the remaining 30% will be given by the grade taken in the individual exam to be held at the end of the course. This option is available only to students attending the course (but they can always choose to give the exam as described at the beginning, if they wish). The final grade will be made available on Esse3 within two weeks from the exam date.
Knowledge and understanding:
- Correctly define basic concepts of marketing and digital marketing;
- Describe marketing in both strategic and operational terms.
Applied knowledge and understanding:
- Identify and recognize marketing concepts when asked about a real or hypothetical situation
- Apply the skills learned in different contexts (for example, different business contexts, different industries)
- Hypothesize and predict the effect of different marketing choices on the market
Autonomy of judgment:
- Analyze and evaluate the main marketing solutions that a company can adopt, understanding their potential returns depending on the market context
- Develop a critical evaluation on the concepts of marketing and digital marketing, using the appropriate terminology.
- Communicate in an effective way the skills learned.
- Use correctly the concepts and models learned to effectively discuss marketing and digital marketing solutions adopted by companies.
- Apply the skills learned to other issues related to the company and its marketing choices, even if not directly covered in the course
- Independently update the knowledge and skills related to marketing in the light of the evolution underway and the changes that will occur in the economic, social and technological domains.
Kotler P., Armstrong G., Ancarani F., Costabile M. (2019), Principi di Marketing, 17a edizione. Pearson.
Additional readings and supplementary materials provided during the course.