Subject: INDUSTRIAL PLANTS DESIGN (A.A. 2021/2022)
Unit Industrial Plants Design
Mechanical Engineering (lesson)
in attesa di attivazione da parte del docente
Knowledge and comprehension of the course contents in relation to the production system design.
Skills and capabilities in the application of the previously mentioned contents to real complex industrial cases where both the human and the machine components are present.
Expertise in the evaluation of the profitability of an industrial investment
No prerequisites are required
1. FEASIBILITY STUDY of INDUSTRIAL INVESTMENT
• Feasibility study concept
• Relevance of product market analysis
• Market surveys: short, medium, long period
• Market demand components: trend, conjuncture, seasonality and random
• Survey product demand sampling method
2. PRODUCTION PLANT DESIGN
• Product-Quantity analysis and industrial layouts concepts
• Main technological plants and others facilities
• Design of production systems (flow shops and job shops)
• Time influence on costs and amortization
• Characteristic curve and economic value of an industrial equipment
• Cell production design
• Collaborative Robot-machine systems
3. PROFITABILITY ANALYSIS
• Cost classification and cost-return analysis
• Cash flows and actualization
• Fiscal amortization, methods for the profitability analysis of an industrial investments (NPV, TIR, Payback)
4. PROJECT WORK
• Project work based on a design of a car production plant developed in teams
The course is organized in frontal lectures in which the basic elements of the various parts of the program are presented. Many lessons are devoted to the resolution of exercises and specific problems follow theoretical presentations of each topic. That underlines the applied nature of the discipline and aims to learn the method, i.e. the ability to translate in mathematical language a concrete problem to determine its solution then applicable in industrial realities. During the course, business visits and / or business testimonies are organized in the classroom to understand and discuss the problems related to the maintenance of the production systems most noticeable in industrial realities and consequently to understand the role of the techniques known during the lectures.
Achievements will be assessed by the means of a development of a project work based on a design of a production plant. Project works can be developed in group (max 3-5 people), and will be discussed at the end of lectures in class. To obtain a passing grade, students are required to at least demonstrate a knowledge of the key concepts of the subject, some ability for critical application, and a comprehensible use of technical language on design of a production system and on the profitability of an industrial investment. Higher grades will be awarded to students who demonstrate an organic understanding of the subject, a high ability for critical application, in particular to connect and merge the different parts of the course. A failing grade will be awarded if the student shows knowledge gaps in key-concepts of the subject, inappropriate use of language, and/or logic failures in the analysis of the subject.
• S.Heragu, Facilities Design, CRC Press, 2008, III Ed.
• Readings directly suggested by teacher (available on virtual learning platform)