Subject: CLOUD AND EDGE COMPUTING (A.A. 2021/2022)
Unit Cloud and Edge Computing
Information Technology (lesson)
The course aims to provide the basic elements of knowledge of distributed Cloud Computing systems and its evolution known as Edge Computing, in addition to themain tools for their use and evaluation.
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- understand the best known cloud computing usage paradigms
- distinguish the main existing architectures in the cloud
- understand virtualization concepts applied to complex distributed architectures
- program a simple application on cloud platform
- use a network simulator for the performance evaluation of distributed systems
For further information on the training objectives, please refer to the "Results of expected learning ".
Network protocols, object-oriented programming
• History: Distributed Web Systems, Proxy Server, Content Delivery Network
• Structure of the Cloud Data Centers
• The paradigms of the Cloud: IaaS, PaaS, SaaS
• Architectures and Cloud Services
• Development of cloud applications (laboratories)
◦ Architectural models (HA, resiliency, elasticity, scalability)
◦ Quality management and monitoring
• Public, dedicated, hosted, private clouds
• Multicloud systems and Cloud Brokerage
• Virtualization Technologies: Software Defined Networking
Edge (or Fog Computing)
• Edge layer as an extension of the cloud
• Latency sensitive applications, pre-processing and data aggregation
• Cooperation models between edge nodes: load balancing algorithms
• The problem of location-allocation at the edge level
• Use of network simulators
Teaching is based on lectures that will take place face to face or remotely depending on the evolution of the pandemic situation. If the lessons are remote, they will be held in synchronous mode - ie live streaming. Workshops will also be carried out on the part of programming on the cloud platform and use of network simulators. Student questions and interventions are welcome and encouraged. Attendance is not compulsory, but strongly recommended. The course is delivered in Italian. All technical and organizational information on teaching, as well as teaching material, will be uploaded to the Dolly platform. The student is invited to register and consult this platform regularly.
The exam is divided into two tests: 1) the development of an individual project that will be based on programming on a cloud platform or on the use of a network simulator in an edge / cloud context; 2) an oral test that will be taken together with the discussion of the project The evaluation of the project will account for 70% of the overall mark. The tests could be carried out face to face or remotely on the Meet platform depending on the evolution of the COVID19 health emergency situation. The evaluation out of thirty of the test is made known to the student at the end of the test itself.
Knowledge and understanding:
- Knowledge of Cloud Computing principles
- Knowledge of Cloud Data Center Structure
- Knowledge of Cloud paradigms: IaaS, PaaS, SaaS
- Knowledge of architectural models
- Knowledge of quality management and monitoring mechanisms
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies
- Knowledge of the principles of Edge Computing
Applied knowledge and understanding
- Ability to program applications in the Cloud
- Ability to use network simulators
- Ability to evaluate the performance of complex distributed systems
Autonomy of judgment
At the end of the course, the student will have improved their skills in
- understanding of distributed cloud and edge computing systems.
- discuss the choices made in defining the most convenient paradigms and architectures to apply
- critical evaluation of the performance of cloud / edge computing systems
The final interview allows you to express the concepts learned with appropriate technical language and support a discussion on the topics covered.
Ability to learn
The activities described, in particular the exercises, allow you to acquire the methodological tools necessary to be able to independently provide for an adequate update and deepening, which allows the student to tackle new problems and not just the automatic application of what has been studied.
Slide del docente e materiale online che verrà indicato durante le lezioni