Subject: GENERAL & INORGANIC CHEMISTRY (A.A. 2023/2024)
Unit Chimica generale e inorganica
The course provides the basic chemical knowledge required:
to understand and interpret chemical phenomena, which is propedeutical to tackle more advanced and specialistic chemical topics;
to analyze the quantitative aspects of chemical reactions;
to carry out simple chemical experiments and to analyze the results obtained
Consulting hour: tuesday and thursday from 3 to 5 pm
Basic knowledge of mathematics and chemistry acquired at the high school
The main topics covered are:
- Elements and chemical compounds.
- Atomic theory.
- The periodic table of the elements and periodic properties.
- Metals and non-metals.
- The chemical bond. - The molecules.
- The mole.
- Chemical reactions.
- The properties of gases.
- The properties of solutions
- The chemical equilibrium.
- Chemical kinetics.
- Nuclear chemistry.
- Acids and bases.
- Buffer solution and hydrolysis.
- Redox reactions and eletrochemistry.
- Basic Inorganic Chemistry.
- Stoichiometric calculations concerning the above mentioned topics.
All the topics will be analyzed from a theoretical, quantitative and experimental point of view, during lectures, practical and theroretical exercitations (the latter of which imply the resolution of stoichiometric problems).
Classroom lectures and exercitations and experimental exercitations. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, lectures and exercitations will be carried out on line, either in streaming or pre-recorded. Experimental exercitation will be carried out in the Department laboratories, working with small groups of students to respect the safety regulations against the COVID-19 pandemic. The theoretical description of the experimental exercitations will be pre-recorded and provided online at https://dolly.dscg.unimore.it/2020/.
Oral examination (at least three open questions concerning all the topics of the course) integrated by a written test concerning stoichiometry (three exercises) and chemical nomenclature as well as by written reports concerning the lab activities.
Knowledge and understanding
Classroom lectures and exercitations as well as experimental exercitations allow the student to acquire theoretical and practical knowledge concerning the fundamentals of General and Inorganic Chemistry
Applying knowledge and understanding
The student learns how to apply the knowledge acquired during classroom lectures and theoretical and practical exercitations:
- to understand and describe the atomic and molecular structure;
- to understand the fundamentals of chemistry;
- to understand the nature of chemical bonds;
- to understand the relationship between chemical bonds and the physico-chemical properties of substances;
- to solve stoichiometric problems.
Classroom activities, written stoichiometric calculations, experimental exercitations and final oral examination allow the student to learn how to
- evaluate the correctness of scientific explanations;
- evaluate the correctness of stoichiometric calculations.
The oral examination and the preparation of written laboratory reports allow the student to explain basic chemical concepts and to elaborate and present experimental data
The above activities provide the student with the skills required to fruitfully attend more advanced chemical courses.
Un testo a scelta fra:
- Chimica Generale e Inorganica (Teoria),
- “Principi di chimica" P. Atkins, L. Jones, Zanichelli
- "Chimica Generale" R. H. Petrucci, W. S. Harwood, F. G. Herring, Piccin
- "Chimica" Kotz, Treichel, Townsend, Treichel, EdiSES
- Stechiometria (Calcoli stechiometrici)
- "Stechiometria" I. Bertini, C. Luchinat, F. Mani, Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
- "Elementi di stechiometria", P. Giannoccaro, S. Doronzo, EdiSES
o "Fondamenti di stechiometria", M. Giomini, E. Balestrieri, M. Giustini, EdiSES
Sulla pagina del Portale MOODLE relativa all’insegnamento di Chimica Generale e Inorganica sono disponibili (e nel rispetto dei diritti d’autore):
- Le dispense utilizzate dal docente nel corso delle lezioni frontali e delle esercitazioni numeriche
- Le schede descrittive delle esperienze pratiche di laboratorio, comprensive delle Schede di Sicurezza dei reagenti utilizzati
- Questionari a risposte multiple per valutare in tempo reale il proprio livello di apprendimento
- Questionari a risposte multiple da compilare prima di svolgere le esperienze di pratiche di laboratorio per valutare il proprio livello di comprensione dell’attività che ci si appresta a svolgere
- Raccolte di esercizi stechiometrici da svolgere