Subject: ASSISTENZA OSTETRICA E INFERMIERISTICA APPLICATA II (A.A. 2019/2020)
Unit Ricerca Qualitativa
Unit Critica alla ricerca
Other activities such as information technology, laboratories etc. (lesson)
Unit Valutazione del rischio in ginecologia ed ostetricia
First Aid (lesson)
Unit Metodologia Avanzata dell'assistenza basata sulle evidenze
Unit Ricerca nelle organizzazioni sanitarie
Propedeutic Studies (lesson)
Unit Metodologia della ricerca II
• Providing the tools to understand and disseminate the results of research considering the questions/research hypothesis and their significance in nursing and midwifery practice.
• Providing the essential knowledge for the preparation of a research article.
• Providing the tools to assess appropriateness and adequacy of studies’ results.
• Identifying problems that allow to formulate research questions arising from work experience.
• Exploring the practical application of Evidence Based Medicine to some clinical problems in obstetrics
• Providing information regarding theory-based knowledge applicable to clinical practice in nursing professions and midwifery. To know the objective/s and choice of appropriate design.
• Having knowledge of the process of publication : high quality of magazines/peer revision. To know about the criteria for quality assessment of studies and magazines.
-Basic English knowledge
-Passing the introductory exam of Research Methodology
-Use of internet and major databases
Critical appraisal/Research in healthcare organisations.
The research process: the theoretical structure, research phases with particular reference to the definition of the research problem. Interpretation and dissemination of research results: how to write a scientific article. Critics of the research. From reflection to the process of critical reading, application of guidelines and critical reading of scientific articles about nursing and midwifery.
Advanced methodology of practices based on scientific evidence
Tools for a correct interpretation of the scientific literature and for the management of obstetric pathology based on scientific evidence
Qualitative research. Methodologies and tools with special reference to grounded theory. Structure of a qualitative research article. Presentation of a research problem, the objective and a survey tool (interview and / or focus group). Identification of the tools for collecting consent and simulate an interview, deregister it and mark the memos. Key elements to develop a qualitative research protocol to be presented to the EC
Risk assessment in Obstetrics
Risk prevention in clinical practice; Obstetric risk factor in first-trimester of pregnancy. Prevention and early detection of cervical and breast cancer; Sexually transmitted diseases; Assisted reproductive technologies
Research methodology in Obstetrics
Evidence-based Obstetrics; Scientific research methods in Italy and in the rest of world; Financial resources and sponsored research vs independent support; Regulation: Ethics Committees, AIFA authorization, etc.;Research objective/s and choice of appropriate design.Protocol definition;Publication process: high quality magazines/peer revision;Criteria for evaluating the high quality of studies and magazines;Conflicts of interest related to reasearchers and evaluators : publication bias
Teaching methods Frontal lessons matched with common discussions in order to stimulate critical analysis, sharing opinions, knowledge and reflections. Individual and group work, interactive tutorials, online research.
As part of the teaching modules, the theoretical training is verified by the following methods: test with multiple choice questions; written report on the analysis of an interview carried out with qualitative methodology;oral presentation of a critical review of a research article chosen by the student
Expected learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding: students will learn the application and the critical analysis of research, the planning and the autonomous management of research activities. They will understand how to create a professional framework that promotes scientific research, they will gain knowledge in reports and assessments of nursing models with foreign people. They will acquire planning expertise in order to realize formative intervention with emphasis on teaching methods in the field of basic, post-basic and permanent vocational training.
Applying knowledge and understanding: students will be able to: apply the results of research in relation to the continuous improvement of the health care and organization-integrate high ethical standards in daily activities and projects-develop EBP in order to introduce changes and improve the practice-understand the health needs of the foreign community and socio-cultural factors that influence them, for the purpose of programming services.
Making judgments: it is developed through the critical analysis of research papers, the preparation of reports, the written report and oral presentation..
Communication skills: written reports, oral presentations will allow the development of the ability to present the data obtained effectively and concisely, to express the learned concepts with an appropriate language and to make a discussion about the covered topics.
Learning skills: the activities described enable students to acquire tools to provide for their update autonomously. The training made in particularly qualified structures is identified as another useful tool for the improvement of cognitive and social skills.
1. Chiari P, Mosci D, Naldi E, Centro Studi EBN (2011). L’infermieristica basata su prove di efficacia. 2° ed. Milano: Mc Graw-Hill
2. Fain JA (2004). La ricerca infermieristica. Leggerla, comprenderla e applicarla. Milano: Mc Graw-Hill
3 Lo Biondo-Wood G., Haber J. (2004) Metodologia della ricerca infermieristica. 2° edizione, Milano: Mc Graw-Hill
4. Tarozzi M. Che cos’è la Grounded Theory, Carocci Editore, 5 ed. 2015
5 Dispense, testi e articoli pubblicati su riviste a carattere scientifico consigliati dal docente in sede di lezione.
6. Williams Obstetrics, Twenty-second edition,2005
7. Creasy & Resnik’s, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Principles and Practice, 7th edition,2014
8. Sala,GM Colpi,S.Palomba,A.Nicoli,L.De Pascalis,M.T.Villani, Infertilità Umana-Principi e Pratica- Prima edizione-Ristampa aggiornata,dicembre 2014